Tips and tricks to increase Amazon sales in 2022
Tips and tricks to increase Amazon sales in 2022
As the world’s largest online marketplace, Amazon dominates the global eCommerce industry. Around 40% of all US eCommerce sales, a third of the UK’s digital sales, and almost a quarter of Japan’s take place on the marketplace giant.
With such a huge customer base, brands that use the best strategies and tactics to increase Amazon sales reap huge rewards.
With that in mind, we’ve pulled together some of the top tips and tactics to help you sell more on Amazon.
Top tips to increase Amazon sales
Consumers are attracted to Amazon for its convenience, customer service, fast delivery and huge product range. But with over 1.5 million active sellers peddling their products, competition on the marketplace is stiff.
So if you’re wondering how to increase Amazon sales for your business, these Amazon selling tips should help.
1. Focus on improving your product pages
Online shoppers can’t handle a product, read the box or examine the instructions. Instead, they need to rely on the content of your product pages.
To increase sales on Amazon, brands should fill out each section of their product descriptions with clear and comprehensive information. They should also include a selection of carefully chosen images to imitate the in-store experience.
Here’s what you need to consider:
- Include carefully chosen keywords: Use a keyword tool to pinpoint the phrases people search when looking for your products on Amazon. You can then add them to your product titles and descriptions. This will increase the chances of your products appearing in relevant search results and should drive more traffic to your product pages.
- Use Amazon A+ content: Available exclusively to members of the Amazon Brand Registry, A+ content enhances your product descriptions with cool layouts, images, graphics and videos. Other sellers can only use black-and-white text in their descriptions. Brands that use A+ content can increase Amazon sales by around 5%.
- Add lots of high-quality photos: To attract clicks, you should carefully choose an eye-catching lead image for each Amazon listing. Then, you can add a selection of photos that provide shoppers with all the information they need to convert. Show close-ups, lifestyle images, demonstrative text and shots which show the scale or use of your product. To make sure your images upload correctly, check out Amazon’s image requirements.
- Leverage video: Supplementing your images with video content is another great way to increase sales on Amazon. Studies suggest that consumers who watch a product video are between 64% and 85% more likely to buy it afterwards. On Amazon, brands just need to make sure they follow Amazon’s content policy which requires all content to be factual and accurate.
2. Brand lock your product detail page
Once your digital shelf is in top condition, you want to minimize chances of a competitor stealing your customers away at the last minute. We see this happen a lot on Amazon thanks to product-level data, which is a data set we specialize in at ChannelSight.
Product level data is an itemized breakdown of everything a consumer puts in their basket and purchases, both brand and non-brand, and the insights it provides are invaluable.
Here’s how using a simple example where we compare what happens offline to online…
So, a consumer goes to the supermarket to buy a specific brand of biscuits. They reach the checkout and see a rival brand on special offer. They remove the biscuits they came to buy from their basket and replace it with the rival brand.
Product level data reveals the same thing happening regularly on Amazon. A consumer lands on your product detail page full of purchase intent, only to be presented with a competitor’s Sponsored Product ad and you lose the sale at the final hurdle due to a cheaper price point.
The trick here is to sponsor your own products. Aim to ‘brand lock’ your Amazon product detail page with your own alternative and complementary products so competitors don’t steal your customers away at the point of conversion.
3. Differentiate yourself from the competition
On Amazon, brands don’t have full control over product placement or branding. They have to follow the marketplace’s rules. But they can still set themselves apart from the competition by communicating what makes them unique.
Perhaps it’s the strength of their brand, the USP of a product or a low price point. So ask yourself: what pain points does my brand address that competitors don’t?
You can then use your images, copy and other assets to highlight these differentiators and speak directly to your target audience.
It’s also possible to leverage your website and other marketing channels. By creating great content, you can turn your brand into a resource. Most online consumers take the time to do some research before they make a purchase. So brands that provide helpful information can build trust, recognition and, ultimately, win the sale.
4. Leverage Amazon’s tools
Amazon wants its sellers to succeed so it has created a bunch of handy tools to help them do just this. Those who take advantage of them tend to sell more on Amazon.
However, it’s worth noting that many of these tools are only available to members of Amazon’s Brand Registry. So, if possible, you should legally register your trademark and sign up for the programme. Not only will this allow you to protect your brand and flag counterfeit products, but you’ll also gain access to some of these notable tools:
- Amazon Analytics: In this dashboard, brands can run six different reports which provide valuable insights into everything from customer behaviour and demographics, through to trending search terms and sales attribution.
- Manage your Experiments: Brands can use this feature to run A/B testing on their product listing pages. They can compare product images, product titles and A+ Content to see which ones attract the most conversions. Making small changes will allow you to pinpoint what works best so you can replicate it across your listings.
- Brand building tools: Beyond A+ Content, Amazon also offers other tools to promote your brand voice and values. You can use Storefronts to build an on-brand Amazon store which showcases all your products, while Amazon Live is a great way to engage fans and increase Amazon sales through livestream shopping.
- Subscribe & save: With this tool, brands can secure a year’s subscription with just one click. It is ideal for CPG products that need to be regularly replenished or refilled. It is a great way to nurture customer loyalty. However, this feature is only available to FBA sellers.
- Product bundles: Another great way to increase Amazon sales is to use the platform’s virtual bundle builder to create enticing multibuy offers. Brands can include up to five ASINs in each bundle to encourage shoppers to buy more.
5. Drive Amazon reviews
Positive reviews are great for building trust and increasing sales. Because reviews often feature helpful advice and insights, they are also an ideal medium for providing customers with extra information about your products.
Recent data suggests that when a brand’s rating on Amazon rises from three stars up to five stars, its conversions increase by 12%. Positive reviews can impact your Amazon product rankings too. So it’s essential to provide customers with a positive experience and have a team of agents ready to respond when something goes wrong.
Brands can also request customer reviews. However, they need to be careful when they do this. Amazon banned incentivised reviews and created strict rules around customer communications. Brands can ask for a review, but they cannot ask for a positive review.
Luckily, Amazon has a tool to help with this. Its ‘Request a Review’ button allows sellers to ask for reviews in a way that complies with Amazon’s policies. Brands can also remind social media followers to share their experiences, while businesses that fulfil their own orders can add requests to their packages.
6. Increase sales with Amazon advertising
If you really want to sell more products on Amazon, it’s definitely worth investing in sponsored ads. They are easy to implement and appear in prominent positions, such as the top of search results. Plus, people browsing Amazon are usually ready to buy so your investment should pay off pretty quickly.
To get started, you simply choose a product, some relevant keywords and the amount you want to spend per click. Right now, the average conversion rate of Amazon’s sponsored ads is just under 10%.
While the cost of Amazon advertising is going up, it remains one of our key Amazon selling tips because it is the quickest way to establish a new product listing. Without past sales or customer reviews, it can be difficult to rank organically on Amazon.
7. Streamline the customer journey
Amazon is the go-to shopping channel for countless consumers so it’s essential for big brands to have a presence there. But, as we mentioned, the competition is pretty fierce.
For this reason, brands need to streamline the consumer journey so that there are less opportunities for shoppers to choose a competitor’s product.
Sponsored ads can help with this. But to sell more on Amazon, you should also add links to your Amazon product page in emails, on social media and on your website. This allows consumers to convert without distraction. Otherwise, they may search for your product on Amazon and be bombarded with ads and organic listings for alternative options.
Using a ‘Where to Buy’ solution is a great way to direct website visitors directly to Amazon. It can help you gather useful insights into shopping behaviour too.
8. Drive external traffic to your Amazon listings
Your consumers aren’t mind readers. So if you’re selling on Amazon, you need to let them know, and drive them there. Our ‘Where to Buy’ technology is one of the best ways of doing this.
We make all digital content shoppable, allowing you to capture engaged users and connect them directly to your product pages on Amazon where they complete their purchase without competitive distraction or delay.
So folks, we shall leave it there for now. For all the deets on devising a winning brand strategy on Amazon, download our free eBook here. And/or if you fancy a chat about optimizing your eCommerce strategy in general, then talk to one of our team today.
It may take some time to implement all of these Amazon selling tips, so start by focusing on your best-selling products. Along the way, you can use analytics and A/B tests to understand what resonates with your audience and implement even more effective strategies.